A 21-year-old woman in Vermont was recently bitten by a black widow spider after reaching into a bag of grapes she purchased at the local Shaw’s supermarket.
That’s a whole bunch of “nope” right there.
She and her mother captured the little culprit that had crawled up her arm and brought it with them to the hospital where the woman was treated and eventually released.
The creature is identifiable by a red hourglass-shape on its belly, so if you see the mark, stay away.
Here’s the supermarket’s statement about the incident, via WPTZ:
The health and safety of products we sell, and our customers, is our first concern. We have been closely monitoring the situation and been in contact with the family. We replaced product in the customer’s refrigerator as a precaution and took immediate action to inspect the product at the customer’s store. We also are inspecting the product in all of our stores and have been in touch with the supplier, which has an extensive food safety management system in place.
While their venom is poisonous, most people just experience a pin prick followed by dull muscle pain along with other possible symptoms.
Severe symptoms usually start to improve within 2 to 3 days, but milder symptoms may persist for several weeks. Death in a normally healthy individual is very rare. Young children, the extremely ill, and the elderly may not survive a bite.
Black widows were also found in bags of grapes in stores across several different states back in 2013.
This mast March a woman in Wales found a Brazilian Wandering Spider in her bag of bananas, which is considered the “world’s most venomous spider” by the Guinness World Records.
Other spiders have also been in the news a lot lately, particularly in Australia, where they are literally raining down from the sky as part of a phenomenon called “mass ballooning.”
Just don’t try to kill any of them, or you might end up with hundreds of even smaller spiders on your hands like this guy did.